Belfast Telegraph

Belfast man David Porter jailed after crash left two with broken bones

Judge Grant imposed a five-year driving ban and, on hearing there have been
Judge Grant imposed a five-year driving ban and, on hearing there have been "adverse incidents" between Porter and Ms Maguire, imposed a five-year restraining order (stock photo)

By Paul Higgins

A driver who broke the ankles of two women when he caused a head-on collision was jailed for a year yesterday.

Ordering David Porter to spend a further year on licence after his release, Downpatrick Crown Court Judge Piers Grant revealed that the 27-year-old drug addict "has been the subject of verified death threats, has been shot five times in both legs... and been stabbed".

He said that while those attacks were "utterly reprehensible as there's no basis upon which anyone is entitled to take the law into their own hands, it should have operated as a warning to you that your use of drugs is a road to nowhere and a road to considerable jeopardy".

On the morning his trial was due to start last March, Porter, from Whiterock Drive in Belfast, pleaded guilty to two counts of causing grievous bodily injury to Michelle Hill and Michaela Maguire by driving carelessly on April 26, 2014, and failing to provide a blood sample.

The court heard that Ms Hill was driving home from work along the Ballylough Road in Castlewellan when the Ford Focus driven by Porter ploughed into her car head-on.

Judge Grant recounted how Porter had swerved from one side of the road to the other before ploughing into Ms Hill's car, fracturing her ankle. Porter's then girlfriend Ms Maguire, who had been the front seat passenger also sustained a broken ankle.

Porter told officers at the scene he had taken drugs earlier that day but refused to provide a blood sample.

Judge Grant imposed a five-year driving ban and, on hearing there have been "adverse incidents" between Porter and Ms Maguire, imposed a five-year restraining order.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph