Belfast man on attempted murder charge of mother-of-one
A Belfast man has appeared in court accused of the attempted murder of a woman who was left in a coma for months and with life-changing injuries following an alleged attack.
Michael O'Connor (31) originally from Westrock Grove in Belfast but now with an address care of Maghaberry prison appeared at Downpatrick Crown Court wearing a grey jumper on Tuesday. He confirmed his identity and that he had been told about the level of credit a defendant obtains for early guilty pleas.
The formalities completed, the court clerk put the two charges to O'Connor accusing him of the attempted murder of a 26-year-old mother of one on November 30 last year and causing her grievous bodily harm with intent on the same date.
He denied the charges.
The alleged victim was said to have been left with severe and life changing brain damage after the alleged attack in a house in the Thomas Russell Park area of Downpatrick.
Following the short arraignment, Judge Piers Grant remanded O'Connor back into custody and said he would review the case next week.
Belfast Telegraph Digital