| 13.9°C Belfast

Belfast Mela forced to cancel due to virus

Close

Participants at last year's Belfast Mela at Botanic Gardens

Participants at last year's Belfast Mela at Botanic Gardens

Photo by Kelvin Boyes / Press E

Participants at last year's Belfast Mela at Botanic Gardens

This year's Belfast Mela, billed as the largest celebration of cultural diversity on the island of Ireland, has been cancelled in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The festival, organised by the charity ArtsEkta, was due to take place on August 30, however, now a "virtual festival" will instead take place online from August 24-30.

Last year, more than 30,000 visitors attended the festival.

Nisha Tandon, executive director of ArtsEkta and founder of the Belfast Mela, said: "We are so sorry we won't be able to bring the traditional Mela to Belfast this year due to the ongoing Coronavirus restrictions," she said.

Daily Headlines Newsletter & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning.

This field is required

Download the Belfast Telegraph App

Get quick and easy access to the latest Northern Ireland news, sport, business and opinion with the Belfast Telegraph App.

Download on the app store Get it on Google Play


Related topics


Top Videos



Privacy