Belfast Telegraph

Belfast party bike fall teen was in a lot of distress, say pair who gave CPR

PVN drop-in centre volunteers Angel De’ville and Liz Rocks helped to give first aid after a young man fell from a ‘party’ bike
PVN drop-in centre volunteers Angel De’ville and Liz Rocks helped to give first aid after a young man fell from a ‘party’ bike
A ‘party’ bike
Allan Preston

By Allan Preston

Volunteers at a Belfast homeless centre have spoken of the terrifying moment they gave CPR to a man who stopped breathing when he fell from a 'party' bike in Belfast.

The young man - believed to be a teenager who suffers from a heart condition - fell from the multi-passenger vehicle at around 6.20pm on Wednesday.

He remains in a critical condition in the Royal Victoria Hospital after the incident in Amelia Street in the city centre.

It is understood he had not been drinking and was taking part in a team-building event.

Liz Rocks (51) and Angel De'ville (48) were setting up at the PVN homeless drop-in centre when they heard a commotion outside.

Ms De'ville said: "It's the scariest thing in the world to have someone's life in your hands.

"I looked out the front door and saw the young lad on the ground.

"I could see he was in a lot of distress and had a head injury.

"I put him straight in the recovery position while Liz was clearing everyone out of the way."

Angel soon had to rely on her first aid training when the young man stopped breathing.

"I started doing CPR with another person helping to do chest compressions," she said.

A young woman brought a defibrillator from the Maldron Hotel next door, which police officers on the scene were able to use.

Paramedics continued the treatment shortly afterwards, before the man was taken to intensive care.

"I think none of us slept last night, waiting for news of him," said Angel.

"My heart goes out to the emergency services, as they have to deal with that on a daily basis."

Just two weeks earlier, two other volunteers at the PVN drop-in centre saved the life of a service user who had overdosed on heroin.

Liz said: "They had to administer CPR and a Naloxone pen, having just completed the training in July.

"That was our first experience of that, even though we do have people that come in with addiction and mental health issues.

"You do the training, but you never really think it will happen.

"I think it shows everyone should take the time to learn first aid."

Jennifer Kenna is the managing director for the bike company, Wee Toast Tours.

She said: "This is a really unfortunate thing that's happened and we wish him a speedy recovery."

She praised the response of her staff at the scene who she said were trained in CPR and health and safety.

"We're confident we're running a safe tour," she added.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph