Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Zoo evacuated after chemical incident

Belfast Zoo evacuated its visitors on Friday following an accidental chlorine gas leak.

The incident happened at the zoo's filter house on Friday afternoon just after 3pm.

All visitors were escorted from the site and the zoo closed early as the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service was called to the site and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus made the area safe.

A spokesman for the NIFRS said crews responded to an "accidental chlorine gas release".

He said: "On arrival NIFRS consulted with reps from Belfast Zoo, Belfast City Council and our own haz-mat specialists.

"We cordoned off the area and evacuated all people from the zoo and then committed crews wearing breathing apparatus and gas tight suits to ventilate and take readings with a gas monitor to ensure the area was made safe.

"The scene was then handed over to the manager from Belfast Zoo and advice given.

"No injuries were reported."

A spokesman for Belfast Zoo said: “We can confirm that the Fire Service was called to Belfast Zoo on Friday afternoon following an incident at the zoo’s filter house while a chemical treatment company was on site.

"All visitors were escorted safely from the site and the zoo closed early as a precaution. We expect the zoo to be open again as normal tomorrow.”

The Zoo's 55 acre site opened in 1934 and is home to more than 1,000 animals and 150 species.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph