Belfast's Bombay Brasserie hit by £450 fine for hygiene breaches
A Belfast Indian restaurant has been fined for a range of safety breaches after inspectors found food on floors and possible sources of food contamination.
The Bombay Brasserie in the south of the city was handed down a fine of £450 and ordered to pay costs in relation to three separate offences following an inspection at the restaurant last year.
According to Belfast City Council, which carried out a routine food safety check in October 2011, “poor standards of cleanliness and food hygiene were found throughout the premises” on the Lisburn Road.
The council inspectors found that a “large build-up of grease, food and food residue was found on the floors and equipment”.
They added that “possible sources of food contamination” had also been found with “raw meats stored above uncovered ready-to-eat foods”, and “uncovered cooked meats were cooling beside dirty dishes in the dishwashing area”.
The restaurant’s owner, Mahabur Rahmen, said that his business had been flooded shortly before the inspection and this had been a contributing factor to the breaches.
“At the moment we have a four-star food hygiene rating following an inspection last week — it was one star before that,” he said.
“The reason at that time was the building was under renovations. We had stock and couldn’t unpack it.
“The health officer came in to the middle of it and said ‘you are not keeping things right’.”
Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, he said he did not close his restaurant while renovation work was ongoing as he would have lost earnings.
“We were still open, one part of the business. The council didn’t think it was a serious thing or that there would be food poisoning,” he said.
“It wasn’t clean enough. We quarantined one area, but we couldn’t close down.
“We are four-star now and we are thinking we are ready for a five-star.”
Belfast City Council confirmed to the court hygiene conditions at the business had “subsequently improved to their satisfaction”.