| 14.3°C Belfast

Bella the dog helps rescue Dundonald family from potential fire tragedy

Close

Bella the hero family pet helped prevent a tragedy. Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker Press

Bella the hero family pet helped prevent a tragedy. Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker Press

Four members of a Dundonald family are being treated in hospital after being trapped upstairs in their home while their kitchen was on fire.
Pic Declan Roughan / Press Eye

Four members of a Dundonald family are being treated in hospital after being trapped upstairs in their home while their kitchen was on fire. Pic Declan Roughan / Press Eye

Four members of a Dundonald family are being treated in hospital after being trapped upstairs in their home while their kitchen was on fire.
Pic Declan Roughan / Press Eye

Four members of a Dundonald family are being treated in hospital after being trapped upstairs in their home while their kitchen was on fire. Pic Declan Roughan / Press Eye

/

Bella the hero family pet helped prevent a tragedy. Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker Press

This is Bella the hero dog, whose barking helped rescue a family from a fire which broke out in their Dundonald home.

Fire broke out in the kitchen of the family's two storey mid-terrace home on Campsie Park in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The family of four were alerted to the fire by the barks of Bella.

The family were left trapped in an upstairs bedroom until the Fire Service arrived on the scene.

Six firefighters were able to make their way into the home, locate the family and bring them to safety.

They were treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to hospital as a precaution.

Bella was also rescued.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Fire Service south and east district station commander, Michael Harkin said the family escaped much serious injury thanks to their dog.

He added: "This would have been very frightening for the family with the smoke and the heat - particularly the smoke would have been very hot.

"We are very keen to stress to people the importance of having a fitted and working smoke alarm in their house, with batteries if it needs it and the Fire Service is able to help with that.

"In this case had the family dog not alerted them to the fire we could have been looking at something much worse."


Top Videos



Privacy