Belfast Telegraph

Benson cousins jailed after victim is stabbed in 'savage' Belfast street attack

By Ashleigh McDonald

Two cousins have been jailed for a "savage" street attack in the Divis area of west Belfast.

Their victim - who had been socialising with one of his two attackers before he was chased down and stabbed a total of eight times - has been left with symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Leo Benson (28), from Pegasus Walk in Downpatrick, was handed an eight-year sentence for attacking the victim and stabbing him as he lay on the ground.

His 18-year old cousin Corey Benson, from Manor Street in Belfast, was given a 10-month sentence after he admitted kicking the victim in the head.

Sending the cousins to prison, Judge David McFarland said most of the injuries were inflicted on the victim as he lay on the ground when he "couldn't escape or defend himself".

Belfast Crown Court heard that the incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday, November 1, 2015.

Prosecuting barrister Robin Steer said that Corey Benson and the victim had been drinking in Corey's grandmother's house, when an argument broke out between them.

Corey punched the victim in the face, before shouting up the stairs and summoning his sleeping cousin, Leo.

The victim ran from the house and tried to make his way to a relative's house at nearby Quadrant Place.

However, he was chased by the cousins and was stabbed in the chest by Leo Benson.

Once on the ground, Leo knelt down and delivered further stab wounds to the injured man's back and shoulders, while Corey kicked him in the head.

Mr Steer said that during the attack, Leo Benson told the victim: "I am going to cut you into pieces."

The prosecutor also revealed that Corey was heard to say to his older cousin: "Don't be stabbing him."

The injured man was left lying on the street, and a 999 call was made at 5.45am.

During this call, a relative of the injured man can be heard in the background blaming Leo and Corey Benson.

The victim was rushed to the A&E department at the Royal Victoria Hospital, where he was treated for eight separate stab wounds.

While five were deemed to be superficial, the other three were serious and required surgery.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph