Belfast Telegraph

Bloody Sunday Colonel Edward Loden shot dead in Kenya

Retired Parachute Regiment chief gunned down by robbers at son’s house near Nairobi

Bloody Sunday
Bloody Sunday
30th January 1972: An armed soldier and a protestor on Bloody Sunday when British Paratroopers shot dead 13 civilians on a civil rights march.
Bloody Sunday in Derry 1972, when members of the Parachute Regiment opened fire on a banned Civil Rights march through the city.
A man receiving attention during the shooting incident in Londonderry, which became known as Bloody Sunday
Bloody Sunday

By Neil Lancefield

The commander of the Parachute Regiment that opened fire on Bloody Sunday has been shot dead during a robbery in Kenya.

Colonel Edward Loden, who received the Military Cross for his actions during the Aden Emergency in 1967, was attacked on Saturday night at his son's home in the capital Nairobi.

Col Loden was exonerated by the Savile Inquiry into the Bloody Sunday shootings of January 1972 when the Army shot 13 people dead in Londonderry.

In one of the defining moments of the Troubles, troops under the command of Major Edward ‘Ted’ Loden fired more than 100 shots into the crowd of civil rights protesters.

Families of the victims later argued that Major Loden could have acted to stop the shooting.

But the Savile Report said that events on the ground were moving so quickly "after the soldiers disembarked in the Bogside that Major Loden had no idea what was actually going on, he assumed that his soldiers had come under attack from republican paramilitaries and were responding.

"At the time the casualties were being sustained, Major Loden neither realised nor should have realised that his soldiers were or might be firing at people who were not posing or about to pose a threat."

Born in 1940, Col Loden was commissioned into the Parachute Regiment in 1959 and served on operations around the world.

He retired from the Army in 1992 and followed a career in business management, before retiring in 1999 to pursue his passion for sailing.

His family said in a statement: "A retired British Army colonel, Edward Loden, was shot and killed during a robbery at his son's home in Langata, Nairobi, shortly after returning from dinner on Saturday evening, September 7, whilst he was on holiday visiting his son and family.

"Nobody else was injured in the attack, which took place when a group of armed men forced their way into the compound."

Col Loden was a grandfather and had two sons.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph