| 3.9°C Belfast

Body of NI tourist who died in Magaluf attack due home on Monday

Aaron Henderson

The family of a tourist from Northern Ireland who died after he was attacked in a street in Magaluf say his body will be returned home on Monday.

It comes after police in Majorca arrested two people in connection to Aaron Henderson's death.

Officers said a British man aged 35 is suspected of killing Aaron and a 37-year-old Spaniard is suspected of trying to cover up the crime.

The unnamed Briton was held on Tuesday afternoon at the bar where he works.

The second man, a manager at the same unidentified bar, was held yesterday morning.

Aaron (30), from Coleraine, lost his fight for life in hospital on May 1 after suffering head injuries in Punta Ballena Street on April 27.

His devastated family have faced an agonising wait for Spanish authorities to release his body.

His dad Paul revealed that his remains will be returned home next week. He posted on social media: "After what feels like an eternity, Aaron is finally coming home to us on Monday, May 14 at 10.30am.

"The funeral service will take place at 25 Cloyfin Park, Coleraine, on Wednesday, May 16 at 2pm following on to Coleraine Cemetery.

"Everyone is welcome to come and say farewell, never goodbye.

"After the service Paul, Kim and Nicolle would like to invite everyone to the Lodge Hotel. The family kindly asks that donations be made to The Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust in lieu of flowers."

Investigators from Majorca's Civil Guard force were said to have spoken to a witness who told them he saw Aaron being pushed to the ground and then kicked in the head in the party resort.

Both suspects are expected to appear before a judge in a closed court hearing today.

The judge will decide whether to remand them in custody or release them.

Mr Henderson revealed the family had decided to donate his organs so his death "wouldn't be in vain".

He said: "It's hard for the family to stay strong. It will never get easier, but we just want to get Aaron home.

"It's been a nightmare having him out there all this extra time, especially with his children waiting."

Belfast Telegraph