Body of Northern Ireland man Paul Gallagher killed by insect bite in Philippines flown home
A Londonderry man who died suddenly in the Philippines after an insect bite will be buried in the city tomorrow, just days after he was due to return to start a new life here.
Paul Gallagher (46) was living in Manila when he died suddenly on December 4.
The Kilfennan man's family were delighted that he had planned to return to set up home in his native Derry.
Tragically, his body will be returned to his family on the day he was meant to arrive back.
Friend Gillian Nesbitt said he was a gentleman who will be sorely missed.
"Paul was living in the Philippines but he was meant to come home for good this week," she said.
"It is just so tragic.
"He was bitten by an insect when he was in the Philippines and they think he might have taken an allergic reaction to that, gone into cardiac arrest in hospital and died.
"It's shocking. You never think that if you get bitten by an insect that this might happen to you.
"It is so hard to believe that he is gone, it is shocking."
She added: "Paul was a really good friend. I've known him for 20 years. He was a very loyal and kind person.
"He loved his family so much, he was so close to them and was always very protective of them. And he always looked after me. He was such a good person, it's just such a shock that he is gone.
"He will be so badly missed."
Mr Gallagher's body was due to be flown back from the Philippines last night and his funeral takes place at the family's church, St Mary's in Ardmore, at 11am tomorrow.
He is survived by his parents Dessie and Marie, his brother Mark, his sister Maire and his nephews and niece Callum, Emma and Christopher.