Bomb squad called in as two arrested over video of ‘gunman’
Two people have been arrested after a video appeared online of a man pointing what appears to be a gun at an Orange parade while wearing paramilitary-style clothing.
In the video, the individual appears in the front room of a house and points the weapon through the window at passing marchers.
The parade in Randalstown took place on Sunday afternoon.
It is unclear whether the gun is real or a replica.
The PSNI said a man and woman had been detained yesterday.
"Officers investigating social media posts, believed to have been made as a band parade was taking place in Randalstown recently, have arrested a 35-year-old man and a 53-year-old woman, and conducted a search of a house in the Station Road area of Randalstown," it said.
"The pair have been arrested on suspicion of a number of offences and have been taken into custody for questioning."
The PSNI said a number of suspicious items had been uncovered by officers as a result of the search at the scene and Station Road had been cordoned off to allow Army bomb disposal officers to fully examine the items.
DUP MP Paul Girvan said the image was a "deeply disturbing display of hate and intolerance aimed towards those participating in the Randalstown District parade". He added: "It's beyond comprehension someone would be so warped as to dress up in paramilitary attire and aim what appears to be a firearm at those on parade."
UUP leader Robin Swann added: "This is quite simply a sectarian hate crime and, even by the standards of behaviour witnessed all too often in Northern Ireland, this is a particularly shocking video.
"A perfectly peaceful and lawful church parade in Randalstown was sufficient to prompt a sad and twisted individual to display his sectarian bigotry by dressing in paramilitary clothing and brandishing what is - hopefully - a replica rifle, from inside the safety of a living room."