Belfast Telegraph

'Border Fox' Dessie O'Hare bailed as he awaits trial decision

By Tom Tuite

Former INLA man Dessie O'Hare has been remanded on bail until a decision is taken over whether he will be tried in a non-jury court in the Republic.

O'Hare (61), who was once known as the 'Border Fox', is facing charges of assault, violent disorder and false imprisonment of three people in Dublin.

O'Hare, with an address at Slaterock Road, Newtownhamilton, Co Armagh, was charged last week and remanded in custody with consent to bail in his own bond of €100 and a €20,000 independent surety.

He appeared again before Judge Alan Mitchell at Dublin District Court yesterday.

Judge Mitchell noted from defence solicitor Ciaran Mulholland that Mr O'Hare had taken up bail.

O'Hare was charged with threatening to kill or cause serious harm and false imprisonment of a man at Rathcoole in Saggart, Co Dublin, on June 9, 2015 and falsely imprisoning two other members of the same family, a male and a female, at a house at The Towers, Garter Lane, Saggart on the same date.

He was also charged with engaging in violent disorder and assault causing harm to another named male at the same location.

Garda Inspector Columbanus O'Malley asked for an adjournment yesterday to allow time for a book of evidence to be completed and he expected it to be ready in four weeks.

He also said the adjournment was to see if the Director of Public Prosecutions will be granted a certificate for trial in the non-jury Special Criminal Court in Dublin.

Judge Mitchell said that because the accused lived in Northern Ireland and had to travel to Dublin for hearings it would suit better to put the case back for five weeks.

He said it would give the State extra time to finish the book of evidence and to see whether the case will be sent forward to the Special Criminal Court or remain in the ordinary courts.

The case resumes at the district court on February 19.

Mr O'Hare has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Dressed in navy trousers, a grey zipped jacket, with a blue shirt and tie, he nodded when his next hearing date was given.

His bail terms said he must reside at his current address and the PSNI and the Garda must be notified of any change.

He also had to surrender his passport, be contactable by phone, abide by a curfew and sign on daily at a Garda station in Castleblaney, Co Monaghan.

A previous court was told O'Hare is accused of being the leader of a gang involved in a "terrifying" incident.

When Garda arrived, the wanted man and five others allegedly escaped through a nearby golf club.

CCTV recordings and witness recognition evidence are said to form part of the case against him.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph