Belfast Telegraph

Boy (3) fights for life after Paw Patrol foam soap 'explodes' in bath

By Claire Williamson

A three-year-old child is in critical condition in hospital after a cannister of Paw Patrol soap product "exploded" while he was in the bath.

The little boy is currently in the Belfast Royal Victoria Hospital after being transferred from Altnagelvin Hospital.

His distressed aunt shared details of the incident in a bid to warn others.

She said: “Our nephew was in the bath tonight (Wednesday) with this Paw Patrol Foam Soap and it exploded.

“He’s been rushed to the hospital and has to go to the Royal. Please please keep him in your thoughts and prayers he’s only 3.”

A spokesman for the Belfast Trust on Friday morning said the boy was in a "critical" condition.

Former SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey said he had been speaking to the family who are "distraught".

They are currently at the child's side in hospital.

Mr Ramsey said: "I was asked by the family to warn people of the dangers of these spray foams.

"It's a horrible time for them. You think something such as foam soap for a child would be a very innocent object, but has clearly become a lethal weapon and caused this damage to the poor child.

"Something needs to be done as a matter of urgency. They need to be taken off the shelves.

"This is really devastating for them."

He added that the items are "readily available" but "something clearly has went dramatically wrong here".

He added: "The child's aunt has been in contact with me and she just keeps saying 'it just exploded while he was in the bath'".

A spokesperson for Nickelodeon said: “We are terribly sorry to hear about this dreadful incident and we are gathering more information about the licensed product involved.”

Animated series Paw Patrol tells the story of a group of dogs and their heroic rescue advenutures.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph