Belfast Telegraph

Boy (7) dies in seaside horror at Ballycastle cliffs

By John Porter

A seven-year-old boy has died after he was rescued from the sea off the north Antrim coast last night.

The boy, named by police as Logan Crawford from Ballycastle, was in the water close to the Silvercliff Caravan Park for at least an hour before being winched out.

A massive rescue bid had swung into operation at around 7.30pm as crews in boats and helicopters rushed to the Clare Park Cliffs in Ballycastle.

In a statement, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said the boy was found close to the base of the cliffs.

It’s believed he had been playing with friends in the area.

Witnesses said the young boy appeared to be wearing a bathing costume, suggesting he may have been swimming before getting into difficulty.

The boy was taken to the nearby Causeway Hospital in Coleraine, where his died.

SDLP councillor Donal Cunningham said his prayers were with the family and the boy.

“This is absolutely heartbreaking news and my heart goes out to the little boy's family and friends,” he said.

“It is a terrible tragedy, and I know the entire area will be deeply saddened at the devastating news of such an untimely death of a young child.”

The rescue came after a Polish man in his early 40s died in a diving accident off the Co Donegal coast.

A group of divers was around four miles off Malin Head at Inishtrahull Island when one got into difficulty.

A helicopter airlifted him to Altnagelvin hospital in Derry, but he was pronounced dead there.

The rescue helicopter had earlier helped a man who had fallen on cliffs at Fair Head near Ballycastle.

The victim suffered a broken ankle and was treated at Causeway Hospital in Coleraine.

A lifeboat crew located him and administered first aid. The helicopter from Scotland then winched a paramedic to the scene.

Ian Murdock from Belfast Coastguard said: “We retasked the helicopter leaving the guy with the broken ankle — he would have been OK for a while longer.

“They arrived on scene where the diver had made a rapid ascent from 45 metres and probably had an air embolism.

“We airlifted him to Altnagelvin and he was confirmed dead on arrival.”

On Saturday, another man died diving near the entrance to Cork Harbour.

Crosshaven RNLI were paged at 6.10pm to a boat at Roches Point with an unresponsive diver on board.

The diver was named locally as John McNally, of Bruff, Co Limerick.

He was taken to Cork University Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph