| 3.9°C Belfast

Boy of 12 suffers burns after liquid is thrown in face

A schoolboy has been treated for burns after a mystery liquid was thrown over his head and face during an attack in Newtownards.

The 12-year-old boy was with two friends when a liquid was thrown over him close to the Old Railway Bank area of the town some time between 8pm and 8.30pm on Tuesday.

Police say although the liquid didn’t ignite, the boy was taken to hospital and treated for minor burns to his head and face.

Neither of the boy’s two friends, also aged 12, were hurt in the incident. It is understood police have yet to identify the liquid.

All three children were left in a state of shock after the incident.

Strangford Assembly member Mike Nesbitt slammed the attack which took place close to the West Winds estate.

“This attack could have had dreadful consequences. Last year in London a spate of similar attacks saw people hit in the face with acid and suffering terrible injuries,” the UUP MLA said.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“There is no doubt that the three boys could have suffered a similar fate and that the young boy who was hit was extremely lucky to have escaped with minor burns.

“This was quite simply an act of lunacy on the part of whoever carried out this attack. This type of behaviour simply cannot be tolerated and the perpetrator must be caught immediately before someone is seriously injured.”

The Assemblyman also urged anyone with information about the incident to go to the police.

“I would obviously urge anyone who has any information whatsoever about this incident to contact the police immediately, and stop another child from being attacked in this manner,” he said.

His party colleague, Ards councillor Tom Hamilton, also slammed those behind the attack.

He said: “The perpetrators need to feel the full weight of the law.”

Mayor of Ards Borough Council Mervyn Oswald also condemned those behind the incident.

The DUP man said: “This is absolutely wreckless behaviour which could have led to serious injuries. This goes against the normal pattern of the West Winds estate. I offer my sympathies to the boy’s family.”

A spokesman for he PSNI said they are investigating the incident.


Top Videos



Privacy