'Boy racers' plead not guilty over road death
Two alleged 'boy racers' have denied causing the death of a Co Down pensioner by dangerous driving.
Appearing in the dock of Downpatrick Crown Court, with relatives of their alleged victim sitting in the public gallery a few feet away, 22-year-old Daryl Kirton and Che McManus (20) entered not guilty pleas to the charge that they caused the death of Patrick Wilkinson by dangerous driving on June 25, 2014.
The 72-year-old had been standing beside his son-in-law Pat Magee outside his family's farm on the Killard Road just outside Ballyhornan, Co Down when he was struck in what has been claimed was a race between two cars.
Mr Magee said at the time: "He was flung 50-odd feet down the road. What killed Paddy saved me, that's just the way it goes," he said.
"Nobody should have to go through that. It was not a pretty sight to see your father-in-law trapped under a car."
Mr Wilkinson was originally from Ballinderry, Co Tyrone, but had moved to Co Down to spend time with his daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren.
In court yesterday, lawyers for the defence and prosecution told Judge Piers Grant there would be forensic engineer reports submitted from both sides before the trial, which will last around two weeks. Prosecuting lawyer Samuel Magee also revealed that a police video recording of the route where the tragedy occurred will form part of the Crown case.
Both Kirton, with an address on Fell Street in Liverpool and McManus, from Carriff Court in Downpatrick, were released on continuing bail and Judge Grant said he would fix the trial date today.