Belfast Telegraph

Car catches fire outside Northern Ireland primary school

A car has caught fire outside a primary school in Bangor, Co Down.

It happened on Friday afternoon as parents were arriving to collect their children from school.

An eyewitness said the car "exploded".

The vehicle which appeared to have overheated produced a loud bang before catching fire.

The driver emerged unscathed and no-one else in the vicinity is believed to have been harmed.

Simon Maltman told the Belfast Telegraph he had been collecting his daughter from the nursery unit at Towerview Primary School in the seaside town when the incident took place.

He said: "The school is in the middle of a residential area so no-one could get up or down the street.

"When I got there the car was still on fire, but the lady driving got out safely. There was nothing sinister about the incident, it seems there was just something wrong with the car."

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident outside Towerview Primary School at 2.26pm.

One crew from Bangor Station attended the accidental car fire. There have been no injuries reported.

The incident was finished just before 3pm.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

From Belfast Telegraph