Belfast Telegraph

Car ploughs into six pedestrians in Belfast: Two victims fighting for their lives after smash during crime reconstruction

It is understood around 20 people were taking part

Two people are fighting for their lives in hospital after a car reportedly collided with a group of people filming a crime reconstruction in south Belfast.

Four others are in a stable condition in hospital following last night's crash on Falcon Road, just off the Boucher Road.

All six were initially taken to the Royal, but two were later transferred to the Mater Hospital as medics worked to assess their injuries.

A television crew was filming a reconstruction for a crime show in the area at the time of the crash, it has been reported.

It is understood around 20 people were taking part.

Shocked onlookers watched as a man in his 20s was arrested at the scene where a silver car appeared to have ploughed into metal gates.

The PSNI closed off Falcon Road in both directions as they launched an investigation into what had happened.

There were reports last night that some type of filming may have taken place, due to a number of items spotted at the scene.

John McPoland from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said his crews were alerted to the crash at around 8.30pm.

"We had reports of a car going out of control and ploughing into a group of people," he said. "We attended with seven accident and emergency ambulances, a number of officers and a number of rapid response paramedics and we have taken six people away from the scene.

"One of those people is in a very serious condition and has gone to the Royal Victoria Hospital. The other five people have a mixture of injuries including fractures and facial injuries."

The area of the Boucher Road where the crash took place is dominated by a number of businesses and factories.

An employee at one of these premises told the Belfast Telegraph how workers ran outside after hearing the crash.

"The police are still here. It was at the corner leading right round into Falcon Road. Hovis is the closest business to it and then Guinness is just beside it," they said.

"I think it was just a crowd of young ones. A car had come round and it seemed to lose control and there were people there and it ran into them. There were a large number of ambulances and Fire Service. People went out to see what happened."

A spokeswoman for the Belfast Trust confirmed that a couple of those injured were transferred from the Royal Victoria to the Mater Hospital, but said this was not unusual for this number of casualties.

Ulster Unionist MLA Michael McGimpsey said his thoughts and prayers were with those involved in the incident.

A 24-year-old man who was arrested following the incident has been released on bail pending further police enquiries.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph