Belfast Telegraph

Carbon monoxide blamed for death

A restaurant worker found slumped beside a generator died from carbon monoxide poisoning, police have confirmed.

A post-mortem examination confirmed suspicions the 37-year-old from Malaysia was overcome by fumes in a storeroom of a Chinese takeaway in Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh.

The victim has not been officially named as attempts are still being made to contact his relatives overseas.

He was discovered by another staff member on Wednesday afternoon. It is understood the electricity supply in the restaurant on Main Street had failed and the generator was being used to power fridges in the store.

The incident came weeks after a couple from Irvinestown died after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in their home.

Estate agent Killian Scallon was found dead in his house on the Kesh Road while his wife Pauline died in hospital six days later.

A blocked chimney flue is understood to be the focus of the investigation into their deaths.

In August two 18-year-old school friends died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a holiday home in Castlerock.

A faulty gas heater is the suspected source of the leak that claimed the lives of Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson.


From Belfast Telegraph