Belfast Telegraph

Case of OAP who admitted beating up cancer-stricken partner is adjourned

Fedor Harvey Stewart leaves Newtownards Magistrates Court yesterday
Fedor Harvey Stewart leaves Newtownards Magistrates Court yesterday

by Paul Higgins

This is the octogenarian who is alleged to have subjected his cancer-suffering partner to a savage two-hour beating.

During a brief hearing at Newtownards Magistrates Court yesterday a prosecuting lawyer said the full file against 86-year-old Fedor Harvey Stewart hasn't been received yet, but papers are expected by May 10.

She told the court she was seeking a four-week adjournment, an application which the defence took no issue with.

Stewart, formerly of Old Belfast Road in Bangor but bailed to live at Church Lane in Donaghadee, faces charges of inflicting actual bodily harm and attempting to choke, suffocate or strangle the 84-year-old alleged victim.

When he was initially charged last month the court heard claims that he subjected his partner, a cancer patient, to a two-hour beating after she asked to hold his hand. During a contested bail application a prosecuting lawyer told the court how Stewart went to his GP, telling the doctor how he had "continually punched the woman in an attack that lasted over two hours".

The police were alerted and when they went to the complainant's home they saw she had "significant injuries including severe bruising to her face".

"He disclosed that she had asked to hold his hand, which he responded to by repeatedly punching her in the face," said the prosecuting lawyer.

She added that while in the police car he said to officers: "I agree with you, I did it. Look at my fists - they are damaged - it was me, I did it. If she had not annoyed me I wouldn't have had to discolour her face."

Freeing Stewart on continuing bail, Deputy District Judge Brian Archer ordered him to appear in court again on May 23, telling the defendant that "hopefully there will be progress by that stage".

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph