Channel 4 has "compounded the grief of a widow" after airing an interview with the convicted murderer of her police officer husband, an Ulster Unionist MLA has said.
Brendan McConville was jailed in 2012 for killing Constable Stephen Carroll three years previously, alongside co-convicted John Paul Wootton.
Last Thursday night, during the national broadcaster's main news programme, Mr McConville spoke to a reporter via telephone from Maghaberry Prison.
Constable Stephen Carroll was shot dead after being lured by a 999 call in Craigavon in 2009. He was the first PSNI officer to be murdered since its formation.
The news item focused on the activities of an alleged MI5 agent who was said to have 'helped' McConville appeal the conviction.
Upper Bann MLA Doug Beattie says he will now be writing to regulator Ofcom and to the Department of Justice to question how such a call was allowed to be broadcast on national television.
"I can understand the hurt of Stephen Carroll's wife (Kate Carroll)," he said. "This is incredibly insensitive and it's not the first time this has happened. The justice system has run here."
In 2018, RTE broadcast an interview with McConville on its station, Raidio na Gaeltachta.
In the interview, former Sinn Fein councillor McConville pleaded his innocence and claimed the case against him and Wootton was flawed.
"What Channel 4 has done, has compounded the hurt of a widow," Mr Beattie added.
"They've (Channel 4) given this person a prime-time platform to put out a case which has already been heard in the court. It gives a sense that our justice system isn't working if we continuously have to keep revisiting a case which was heard in court."
The Court of Appeal in Belfast rejected a challenge by the Craigavon men in 2014. McConville claimed alleged MI5 agent Dennis McFadden sabotaged his case from inside his family's campaign to free him.
Kate Carroll has said Channel 4 had lent credibility to that campaign, despite the evidence against McConville, who did not give evidence in his own defence.
Mr Beattie said while McConville had been given the opportunity to present his point of view, Channel 4 News had not presented the evidence against him as a balance.
"This is damaging to our justice system, damaging to our confidence but it's damaging to Channel 4," he added.
The phone call appeared to have been made to McConville's family home during filming. Channel 4 representatives were unavailable for comment on Sunday.
Former soldier Mr Beattie said as well as causing hurt to Mr Carroll's relatives, the incident raises many questions which he will be putting to Justice Minister Naomi Long. He asked: "Does every other prisoner have the ability to broadcast to the media, what they think is right or wrong or justice or injustice?
"Does this mean every prisoner can have access to social media? Is this a select individual? Why has he been given preferential treatment to go on national television and put his case?
"I think the Justice Minister should lay her stall out as to why it was allowed."
DUP MLA Jonathan Buckley said the interview caused him "great anger and distress".
"It is an absolute corruption of justice that a man convicted of murdering a police officer should be allowed to air his views by means of public broadcast.
"This leaves serious questions to be answered by Channel 4, and indeed the Northern Ireland Justice Minister, Naomi Long, as to why the Prison Service facilitated such a call," he said.
The Belfast Telegraph contacted Ofcom which could not provide a statement. A spokesperson for the Prison Service said: "We do not comment on individual cases."