Charlotte Caldwell and son Billy move to London to continue medicinal cannabis fight
Charlotte Caldwell and her son Billy, who requires medicinal cannabis to treat his epilepsy, have decamped to London to continue their fight for access to the drug.
It comes after a week in which the case of the Co Tyrone 12-year-old and his difficulties accessing a drug his mother described as "life-saving" has been in national headlines.
On Monday, Charlotte had cannabis oil confiscated from her at Heathrow Airport by Border Force, as she was attempting to bring into the United Kingdom.
Billy, 12, last year became the first person in the UK to receive a prescription for medicinal cannabis, but it was stopped earlier this year after the family's doctor was ordered to stop the prescription by the Home Office.
Billy suffered his first seizure in almost a year after his treatment was withdrawn.
MPs from across the UK have spoken out about the plight of Billy Caldwell, and all of Northern Ireland's main political parties have given their support to the youngster.
In a video posted to the Facebook page, Charlotte Caldwell said things were looking "very, very positive" and thanked the public for their support.
Thursday 14th June, another long day. “ Positive Minds, Positive Vibes, Positive Life. Change is a coming “ ........ 💜 #families4accessPosted by Keep Billy Alive on Thursday, June 14, 2018
"As you all know we’ve been campaigning tirelessly for all the younger children as well, so this is not just about getting Billy’s medication back," she said.
"This is about getting the medication that these children throughout the United Kingdom desperately need to control their epilepsy.
"Stay with us, we’re all working extremely hard here. Myself and Billy as of now are residing in London to make this change. Change is coming. Hold on folks, as I used to say hold onto the seat of your pants. Change is coming and we are confident we are going to get this across the line. So bear with us."
Belfast Telegraph Digital