Belfast Telegraph

Chilling remarks of IRA suspect: Accused was prepared 'to do 15 years' if police officer killed, court hears

Alex McCrory
Alex McCrory

By Alan Erwin

An alleged senior dissident republican paramilitary was secretly recorded telling associates he was prepared to "do 15 years" if it meant a police officer being killed or seriously injured, the High Court heard.

Prosecutors claimed Alex McCrory made the "chilling" comments during discussions in the aftermath of a gun attack on a PSNI convoy in north Belfast.

Details emerged as the 53-year-old mounted a fresh bid to be released on bail.

McCrory, of Sliabh Dubh View in Belfast, was arrested along with Colin Duffy and Henry Fitzsimons, both 47, following the December 2013 shooting incident.

A PSNI Land Rover and two accompanying vehicles came under fire on the Crumlin Road.

Two AK-47 rifles and spent rounds of ammunition were later recovered along with a hijacked and burnt-out taxi. McCrory faces charges of conspiring with Duffy and Fitzsimons to murder members of the security forces and belonging to a proscribed organisation - namely the Irish Republican Army.

He is also accused of attempting to murder police officers, and possessing firearms and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

Charges were brought against him, Duffy, from Forest Glade in Lurgan, and Fitzsimons, of no fixed address, following a covert surveillance operation.

Security services recorded the three men meeting near Duffy's home a day after the gun attack, the prosecution allege.

According to a Crown lawyer they held in-depth discussions about the attempt to kill officers and the weapons used.

The talks also centred on how future operations needed to focus on targets with a high likelihood of "getting a kill", the court heard.

Those being recorded were said to have described the north Belfast attack as risky because it was more likely to result in lost guns than the taking of a life.

It was alleged that McCrory was central to the discussions.

"Particularly chilling... he states he would be willing to do 15 years provided at least there was a police officer injured or killed," prosecution counsel claimed. "But he wouldn't be (willing) for simple possession of coffee jar bombs as he sees it."

McCrory renewed his bid to be released from custody based on delays in deciding whether the three accused should stand trial.

Mr Justice Burgess was told the Public Prosecution Service was ready for a preliminary enquiry hearing to take place nine months ago. But defence barrister Dessie Hutton argued that the hold-up was caused by problems reformatting audio and visual exhibits served on his client and solicitors.

With the preliminary enquiry now relisted for January, Mr Hutton stressed McCrory will have spent two years in custody before it is determined if he has a case to answer.

It was predicted that any subsequent trial will not get under way until autumn next year.

Questioning the strength of the evidence against his client, the barrister added: "The defence will be contesting the committal and suggesting there isn't a sufficient case to go to a jury."

Following submissions, the judge adjourned the bail application to consider the issues raised.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph