Belfast Telegraph

Colin McRae a careful pilot, inquiry hears

The parents of a six-year-old boy had not given world rally champion Colin McRae permission to take their son in a helicopter which crashed and killed him, a fatal accident inquiry has heard.

Friends of McRae yesterday described him to the inquiry as a responsible pilot and not a show-off.

Witness statements from those who knew the driving ace were read out as the inquiry began into the tragedy on September 15, 2007.

McRae (39) died with his son Johnny (5), the boy's school friend Ben Porcelli (6), and McRae's friend Graeme Duncan (37) when the aircraft he was piloting crashed in the grounds of his home near Lanark.

On the first day of the inquiry at Lanark Sheriff Court, statements were read out from Karen and Mark Porcelli, the parents of Ben, who said they did not give McRae permission to take their son in the helicopter. They said they were family friends of McRae and his wife and their sons attended the same primary one class at school.

The boys would go to play at each other's homes, they said, and Mrs Porcelli said she dropped Ben off that afternoon.

She said: “There had been no discussion of Ben going in the helicopter that day or on any other occasion.”

Mr Porcelli said: “At no point did Colin McRae seek permission to take Ben in the helicopter.”

The principal procurator fiscal depute Kate Meikle read out a statement given by Alexander Steele, who visited McRae at his home hours before the fatal flight.

Mr Steele, who had known

McRae for around two years and had been flown by him twice, said: “I've seen him land many times. I've never seen Colin McRae fly irresponsibly at any time.”

He said McRae and others were riding quad bikes and Mr Duncan was filming them when he went to the property.

After he left, McRae, the two boys and Mr Duncan went to see John Crawford in the Eurocopter Squirrel helicopter.

The witness, who knew McRae for more than 10 years, said: “As far as I know he got it inspected regularly.

“Colin was safety-minded at all times. He would document each flight. I've flown with him countless times.”

He added: “He was not a show- off.”

The inquiry is expected to last for several months.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph