Belfast Telegraph

Copper thieves cause gas leak

By John Mulgrew

A GAS leak at a gaelic football club in west Belfast was caused by would-be thieves trying to steal copper pipes.

Three fire engines were called out to St Gall's GAA Club on the Falls Road at around 1.40pm yesterday afternoon after reports of a gas leak at the premises.

After making an assessment and cutting off the gas supply the crew left a short time later, handing over to engineers from Phoenix Gas.

According to the club's chairman, Paul Flanagan, the gang broke into the changing rooms, damaging a door in an attempt to steal copper piping.

“Someone broke into the changing rooms and they must have thought they were going for the water pipe but they tried to take off one and then obviously realised it was gas,” he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph