Belfast Telegraph

Council street sweeper goes up in flames

By Leona O'Neill

The Fire Service was called out to extinguish a blazing street sweeper in Londonderry yesterday.

The council appliance caught fire in Patrick Street, sending a plume of smoke over the lower city centre.

No-one was injured in the incident, but the vehicle was completely gutted.

A spokesperson for Derry City and Strabane District Council confirmed that one of its sweepers was involved in a minor fire in Patrick Street.

"The vehicle was destroyed, there were no injuries and minor scorch damage was caused to the footpath and surrounding infrastructure," they said.

"Council are investigating the incident and a full report will be presented at the next Environment and Regeneration committee meeting in January."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph