Belfast Telegraph

Couple and teen daughter escape injury in gun attack

Condemnation: Uel Mackin
Condemnation: Uel Mackin
Lauren Harte

By Lauren Harte

The Mayor of Lisburn has condemned those behind an overnight gun attack in the city in which a couple and their teenage daughter escaped injury.

A shot was fired through the living room window of a house in the Hillhall Park area in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The couple and their 15 year-old daughter were in the house at the time but were not injured. Lisburn and Castlereagh Mayor Uel Mackin knows the family in question and says they have lived in the area for many years.

The DUP representative for Downshire East said: "They are very private and quiet people who work hard within the community and are highly respected.

"I cannot think of any reason why they would be targeted in this way. The Hillhall estate has had its difficulties in the past but it's a very settled community where people get on well with each other.

"The local community are talking about this incident with a sense of disbelief that something of this nature could happen and they do not want this type of activity.

"It's just so sad and tragic that people cannot be left alone to get on with their lives," he added.

Ulster Unionist councillor Jenny Palmer added: "It's a huge shock to hear of such an attack on a family home within a close-knit community.

"Thankfully this family escaped uninjured but it could have been so much worse.

"No-one wants to see attacks of this nature and we had hoped that these types of incidents were in the past."

Police have described the incident as "a totally reckless act" and are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed it or who may have information or dashcam footage of the area to contact detectives in Lisburn on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 57 of May 21.

The incident came just a day after a number of shots were fired into a house in Lurgan in what police described as a "reckless attack".

The PSNI said no-one was injured after the incident in the Ballynamoney Road area of Lurgan at around 12.50am on Monday.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph