Belfast Telegraph

Couple rescued from house inferno

The couple who escaped from a burning bungalow have been named locally as James and Audrey Adams, both in their 50s.

Neighbour Roisin Mars told how Mrs Adams had to be rescued from the building on Glenkeen Road, Aghadowey, Co Antrim by firefighters and taken to hospital in nearby Coleraine.

Mum of two Mrs Mars said she tried to shield her children from seeing the blaze.

“I live directly beside the house that went on fire. Our house is two storeys and theirs is a wee bungalow,” she said.

“I first heard sirens and a commotion at about 10 o’clock on Tuesday night.

“There was a lot of smoke and I could see that the husband had got out of the house but the wife had not, I think she had been trapped in a bedroom.

“The fire engines and police had arrived and the firemen were able to go in and take her out, and she was taken to hospital. We didn’t have to evacuate but at the same time I didn’t want to stand and watch and I wanted to protect my children. It was very scary and shook me up and it would have really upset them.

“It was awful to think that such a thing could happen and I am just glad they both got out.”

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph