Belfast Telegraph

Creggan family left terrified as yobs lay siege to home

By Amanda Ferguson

A family is recovering from a terrifying attack on their home by a group of around 30 youths armed with weapons, including a hammer and a garden strimmer.

A police spokesman said officers received a report of people gathering in a field behind a house on the Glen Road, in the Creggan area of Londonderry, at around 9.45pm on Wednesday.

It is understood a garden fence was broken, a shed was ransacked and threats were made to burn the house down during what is believed to have been a booze-fuelled rampage by the gang. The motive for what sparked the assault is still unclear.

The daughter of the homeowners described what happened to her parents as an "absolutely terrifying experience".

"They threw a hammer at my father, obviously intending to do bodily harm," she said.

"It was almost like a riot, it was just a stampede of running and pushing down our fence."

The family have been left very upset by what happened but have said they will not be scared and intimidated out of their home.

SDLP MLA for the area, Mark H Durkan, described the attack as "something out of a zombie film".

Mr Durkan, who knows the family, said the community had rallied to support the victims at what has been a very distressing time, adding that they had been left "traumatised and scared".

"My thoughts are with the family who were subjected to this sustained attack," he said.

Mr Durkan added the attack had a profound effect on the family, who have been left frightened by the mob violence.

He said: "They are traumatised and scared in their own homes and no one should be made to feel that way. I would appeal to parents to be aware of where their teenage children are and what they are up to."

A police spokesman said one young person was detained in connection with the incident.

"A man was reported to have gained access to the rear garden," the PSNI spokesman said.

"Police were also told that a gang of about 30 people had kicked through the rear fence and that a resident had been threatened.

"When police arrived 15 minutes after the call, a large group of youths made off."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph