Crown Court trial for duo accused of attacking policeman during a riot in north Belfast
Two men accused of attempting to seriously harm a police officer during a riot in north Belfast last summer have been told the case against them will be heard at Belfast Crown Court.
Mark Blaney (31), from Alliance Close in Belfast, and 21-year-old Stewart Lee Lundy, from Marlfield Drive in the city, are both charged with attempting to unlawfully and maliciously wound the officer with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.
The pair are also charged with rioting.
Both charges are linked to the serious street disorder which erupted in the Woodvale/Twaddell area of north Belfast following a Parades Commission determination not to allow a loyalist flute band to walk past the Ardoyne shop fronts on their return journey on July 12 last year.
At a previous court hearing, it emerged that Blaney was initially facing a charge of attempted murder, after a police officer was attacked with a ceremonial sword.
The officer's helmet protected him.
Following yesterday's brief hearing, it transpires that he now faces the attempted wounding charge along with co-accused Lundy.
A representative from the Public Prosecution Service said it was the Crown's case that due to the evidence before the court, there was a case to answer.
The pair will now appear before Belfast Crown Court on a date to be fixed.
Magistrate Fiona Bagnall released them both on continued bail.