Daithi McKay bomb threat: 'I will not be deflected from duties'
Sinn Féin North Antrim MLA Daithí McKay has confirmed that a bomb threat has been made against him.
The 33-year-old tweeted that he had contacted the PSNI after a caller to his constituency office in Dunloy this afternoon said that a bomb had been left outside his home.
On phone to police after caller to office claimed to have left a bomb outside our home.Wont deter me in my duties as a public representative— Daithí McKay (@daithimckay) January 28, 2015
It's not the first time that threats have been made against Mr McKay's life as a previous threat was made in June, 2008.
The Assembly's chair of the Finance and Personnel Committee, however, has vowed that the threat will not deflect him from his duties.
The Sinn Féin MLA said in a statement: “I have been made aware of a warning put through my constituency office that stated that there is a bomb planted outside of my home.
“The cowards behind the threat and their accompanying actions are beyond contempt.
“Whilst I’m conscious of the despicable threat directed towards me and my family, I want to make it clear that I, along with my Sinn Féin colleagues for that matter, will not be deflected from our duties.
“As an elected representative I will continue to work in our pursuit for equality and the building of peace and reconciliation in my constituency and beyond.”
Mr McKay is also a member of the Assembly's Public Accounts committee and had been Sinn Fein's Education spokesperson.
Belfast Telegraph Digital