Derry riot accused refuses to stand up in court or confirm his name
A man has been charged with committing public order offences in the Creggan area of Londonderry last month.
Emmet McSheffrey (19), of Oakland Park in Derry, is accused of riotous behaviour, attempting to damage police Land Rovers by throwing pieces of masonry at them and with encouraging or assisting others to riot.
He is alleged to have committed the offences at Iniscairn Road on June 27.
McSheffrey, who was arrested on Wednesday, appeared at Derry Magistrates Court yesterday.
When the defendant was brought into the dock by two prison officers he refused to stand.
He also refused to confirm his name, address and date of birth to a court clerk.
District Judge Barney McElholm asked: "Is there something wrong with his legs?"
Defence solicitor Derwin Harvey said that he had advised the defendant about court procedures, to which Mr McElholm said: "Well, if you fly with the crows."
During the proceedings a police officer said he could connect the defendant to the three charges.
He said the disturbances started when police were carrying out an operation in the Creggan.
A group of around 30 teenagers threw stones, bottles and large pieces of masonry at police vehicles, the court was told.
Some of the missiles thrown narrowly missed two women who were pushing prams and also narrowly missed several cars being driven past the scene of the disturbances.
The police witness said officers at the scene identified the defendant and explained it was sheer luck that no one was injured.
"The police believe the defendant orchestrated the violence and manipulated children to do so and to join in," he said.
The officer said the defendant had 11 previous convictions, mainly for public order offences, and that four bench warrants issues against him were still outstanding.
Objecting to bail, the officer said tensions in the Creggan area were still heightened following the murder in April of journalist Lyra McKee.
Bail was refused and the defendant was remanded in custody until August 1 for a video-link hearing.