Belfast Telegraph

Detectives in appeal for help after man is beaten and then bundled into car in foiled kidnap attempt

By Cate McCurry

A 22-year-old man has managed to escape from a sinister kidnapping attempt.

The Co Antrim man was bundled into a car by a masked gang and taken to a flat where he was attacked early yesterday.

He managed to escape the flat and made his way towards Lisburn police station where officers found him in the Barrack Street area.

The victim was taken to Royal Victoria Hospital where he received treatment for injuries to his head and body.

Detectives investigating the incident are now appealing for information following the abduction and assault that happened in Lisburn in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The injured man has revealed that he was walking in a street in the general area of Saintfield Road and Ballynahinch Road on Wednesday when he was struck on the head, bundled into a car and taken to a flat by three masked men.

He was assaulted in the flat before he was able to get away and was found by police at approximately 1.30am yesterday.

Police said his injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

Alliance councillor for the area, Amanda Grehan, spoke of her horror at the attack. "I am so appalled by this attack and think it's terrible an incident as bad as this could just happen," she said.

"The thought of three men taking someone off the street and doing that to them is awful."

Ms Grehan went on to say that she did not believe a motive had been established for the attack.

"I don't think it has a sectarian motive. I have asked about and can't find out a lot about it at the moment and I don't think anyone knows the reason for it," she said.

"Everyone is so appalled this could happen."

PSNI Detective Sergeant Lyttle urged anyone with information about the attack to come forward.

"I would ask anyone who saw any suspicious activity, or who knows anything about this incident, to contact detectives in Lisburn Police Station on the non-emergency number 101," the officer said.

Meanwhile, the PSNI is appealing for information about a separate violent incident.

This one took place in Craigavon when a man tried to stab a workman through a letterbox.

At around 12.40pm on Tuesday, a man answered a knock to the door of a house he was working in around the Drumgor Heights area of the town.

He was confronted by a man who pointed a suspected firearm at him and threatened him.

The man forced the door shut in an attempt to stop him entering the house, however, the armed man attempted to force his way into the house before trying to stab the man with a large knife through the letterbox in the door.

The assailant made off on foot and the man was not physically injured as a result of the incident. One man is being questioned about the attack.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph