A disgraced ex-DUP mayor faces being stripped of his MBE award after he was convicted of trying to get a boy aged under 16 to engage in sexual activity.
Former Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough councillor Thomas Hogg denied the offence but was found guilty following a contest hearing at Belfast Magistrates Court last week.
The case followed the 32-year-old's arrest at the dance music festival V36 in Newtownabbey.
Hogg, of Brae Hill Park in the Ballysillan area of north Belfast, was charged with inciting a 14-year-old boy to engage in sexual activity on September 28, 2019.
Following the charges brought against him, Hogg left the DUP and resigned his seat on Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council.
Hogg was awarded an MBE by the Queen in 2016 for services to local government but is likely to lose the title as it can be taken away from those who have done something to damage the honour system's reputation.
A spokesperson for the Cabinet Office, where the Honours Secretariat coordinates the UK honours system, explained that it is possible to rescind an honour on the advice of the Forfeiture Committee and with the approval of The Sovereign.
Commenting on Hogg's case, the Cabinet Office stated: "Forfeiture action is confidential and we cannot comment on whether or not specific cases are being considered by the committee."
The former politician wouldn't be the first disgraced public figure to have been stripped of an honour.
Film producer Harvey Weinstein's honorary CBE was removed after he was convicted of rape and sexual assault, while children's entertainer Rolf Harris' CBE was taken away when he was found guilty of sex attacks on girls as young as seven.
Broadcaster Stuart Hall lost his OBE following his conviction for sex offences against children.
Meanwhile, television personality Jimmy Savile, who was awarded an OBE in 1972 and was knighted in 1990, is suspected to have raped 35 women and girls, and sexually assaulting 450 people before his death in 2011.
The Honours Forfeiture Committee said they would consider posthumously revoking his honours as they automatically expire when a person dies.
Speaking at the time of receiving his MBE, Hogg said: "This is not something I ever contemplated or imagined, but I am nonetheless very honoured and humbled."
A spokesperson for the child protection charity NSPCC Northern Ireland, said that child sexual abuse can have a devastating impact which can last long into adulthood and it is important that the victim in Hogg's case receives all appropriate support.
"Anyone who has experienced sexual abuse, no matter when it happened or who the offender is, should have the confidence to speak out and seek support, knowing they will be listened to," the charity added.
Hogg previously pleaded guilty to drink driving in May 2018 and received a 12-month driving ban and a fine.
The conviction saw him suspended as a councillor for five months, and also suspended by the DUP for eight months.
Hogg grew up in Fermanagh before moving to Belfast to study at Queen's University, while taking on a more prominent role in the DUP. He worked closely with former North Belfast DUP MP Nigel Dodds and the party's MLA Paula Bradley.
Hogg is due to appear before Belfast Magistrates Court on March 12 for sentencing.