Belfast Telegraph

Driver avoids jail for crash that injured motorcyclist

A 68-year-old driver who had a momentary lapse of concentration while changing lanes, causing a motorcyclist to collide with his car and trailer, has walked free from court with a six-month suspended jail term, and banned from driving for a year.
A 68-year-old driver who had a momentary lapse of concentration while changing lanes, causing a motorcyclist to collide with his car and trailer, has walked free from court with a six-month suspended jail term, and banned from driving for a year.

By Michael Donnelly

A 68-year-old driver who had a momentary lapse of concentration while changing lanes, causing a motorcyclist to collide with his car and trailer, has walked free from court with a six-month suspended jail term, and banned from driving for a year.

William Chambers Mahood, from Old Westland Road in north Belfast, admitted causing the motorcyclist grievous bodily injury by his careless driving on the Sydenham Bypass in the east of the city last December 3.

Judge Stephen Fowler QC told Mahood that while the custody threshold had been passed, in the circumstances it could be limited in length and suspended, which it was for 12 months.

The Belfast Crown Court judge said it appeared that Mahood may have simply had a lapse in judgment or concentration, and that there were no aggravating features such as speed.

However, Judge Fowler said unfortunately it did have drastic consequences for the motorcyclist, who still suffers from "nasty injuries", which had included fractures to his neck and both wrists.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph