Belfast Telegraph

Dublin murder suspect still undergoing medical tests

By Staff Reporter

A Co Tyrone man fighting extradition over his alleged role in a gangland murder at a Dublin hotel is having further neurological assessment, a court has heard.

Counsel for Kevin Murray indicated the outcome could impact on his physical fitness to stand trial on charges connected to the killing of David Byrne earlier this year.

Murray (46) was detained at his home in Townsend Street, Strabane, in September under a European Arrest Warrant issued by authorities in the Republic.

He was wanted in connection with the fatal shooting at Dublin’s Regency Hotel in February.

Byrne, a 34-year-old father-of-two from the Crumlin area, was shot dead when masked men dressed as Garda officers opened fire with automatic guns.

His killing ignited a deadly feud between members of the rival Kinahan and Hutch gangs.

Murray is being sought over alleged offences of murder, possession of a firearm with intent and possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances.

It was previously claimed in court that he had stayed overnight at the hotel in preparation for his alleged role in the shooting.

Gardai allege Murray can be clearly identified on CCTV footage and photographic evidence.

Another man, 24-year-old Patrick Hutch, from Champions Avenue in Dublin, has already been charged with the murder. He is alleged to have acted with the Co Tyrone man as part of the same gang.

At an earlier hearing, Murray appeared in court using a walking aid due to problems with his health.

During an update at Belfast Recorder’s Court yesterday,defence barrister Desmond Fahy confirmed that a final neurological report was to be provided by specialists following a further examination. He also explained that after the examination a forensic medical officer may then have to assess his client’s physical fitness to stand trial.

Adjourning proceedings, Her Honour Judge Patricia Smyth listed the case for a further mention later this month.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph