Belfast Telegraph

Dungannon sex assault accused Coney granted bail ahead of trial

A lawyer appearing for the Public Prosecution Service told the court there was a case to answer, to which District Judge John Meehan agreed (stock photo)
A lawyer appearing for the Public Prosecution Service told the court there was a case to answer, to which District Judge John Meehan agreed (stock photo)

By Staff Reporter

A Dungannon man accused of offences carried out in broad daylight against two women - including sexually touching one of them - has had his case transferred to the Crown Court.

Mark Andrew Coney (35), from Killyliss Road, appeared for a committal hearing at Dungannon Magistrates' Court yesterday to formally transfer the case to trial.

He is accused of sexually touching one of the complainants and assaulting both on July 5 last year, as well as allegedly twice committing an offence with the intent of carrying out sexual assaults.

There are also two counts of criminal damage, one of which relates to the car belonging to one of the complainants, and the other to a cell in Dungannon police station following Coney's arrest.

A lawyer appearing for the Public Prosecution Service told the court there was a case to answer, to which District Judge John Meehan agreed.

Coney declined to call witnesses or give evidence on his own behalf during the short hearing.

He confirmed he understood the charges against him and did not object to the proceedings.

Judge Meehan remanded Coney on £750 bail to appear at Dungannon Crown Court for arraignment later this month.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph