East Belfast house 'destroyed' in arson attack
A firefighter has told of how an east Belfast house was destroyed in an arson attack in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The house in the Castlereagh Parade area was set alight with five five crews and an aerial appliance called to the scene around 1.50am.
Houses on either side of the property had to be evacuated while firefighters battled the blaze until 4am.
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) Eastern Area Group Commander Chris Fee said that the fire had been started deliberately.
"The unoccupied house was completely destroyed and the homes on either side suffered smoke and water damage," he said.
"It was a reckless act which put the lives of the people in the nearby homes at risk."
A PSNI spokesperson said: "The report of the fire was received at around 1.45am. Unfortunately the house has been completely gutted, but thankfully no one was home at the time. Minor damage was caused to a neighbouring property, but no injuries have been reported.
"The cause of the fire is yet to be established and police are appealing to anyone with information to get in touch on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 137 of 23/04/19."
Belfast Telegraph Digital