Belfast Telegraph

E.coli discovered in kitchen at Craigavon Area Hospital

By Rebecca Black

The E.coli bacteria has been detected at Craigavon Area Hospital.

The discovery came yesterday afternoon during routine testing in the main kitchen.

A spokeswoman for the hospital said last night that the kitchen remained open and food was being served.

However, all necessary infection control measures were in place. In a statement she said no patients had shown any signs of having been affected by the bacteria.

"The Southern Trust can confirm that E.coli 0157 has been detected during routine sampling at the main kitchen at Craigavon Area Hospital," she said.

"To date no patients, staff or members of the public have shown symptoms of being affected by this bacteria. We have stringent food safety measures in place and are liaising with all relevant agencies. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

E.coli is a type of bacteria and causes illness usually through the consumption of contaminated food. Infection may lead to hemorrhagic diarrhea and to kidney failure.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph