An elderly man has died from his injuries after he was knocked down by a vehicle in east Belfast.
The incident took place on the Albertbridge Road around 3.30pm, at the junction with Castlereagh Street close to the Short Strand area.
Police said the collision involved a pedestrian and a vehicle. It's understood the man was hit by a lorry.
He has now been named as 79-year-old Patrick McDermott from the east of the city.
Inspector Ian McCormick has appealed to anyone who was in the area of the Albertbridge Road at the time and witnessed this incident to contact Police at Strandtown on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 767 of 19/05/17.
A Northern Ireland Ambulance Service spokesperson said they were called out yesterday afternoon "following reports of an RTC involving a pedestrian on the Albertbridge Road, Belfast".
One Rapid Response Vehicle and one Ambulance attended the scene and took the crash victim to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
Police and forensic experts also attended the scene of the collision.
East Belfast councillor Dr John Kyle spoke of his sadness at the incident.
"It's a tricky junction - and there have been road works in progress. It's a busy interchange, but I can't recall another fatal accident there for many years," he said.
The Progressive Unionist Party (PUP) man added: "My heart goes out to the poor man and his family. It's a dreadful way to die. A tragedy."
Last night, the PSNI issued an appeal for information about the collision. Inspector Ian McCormick asked for anyone who was in the area at the time and may have witnessed the incident to contact police at Strandtown on the non-emergency number 101.
The Albertbridge Road was closed along with Woodstock Link, Mountpottinger, Short Strand and East Bridge Street for a time yesterday evening, but has since re-opened to traffic.
There have been 20 deaths following road collisions so far this year, slightly down on this time last year when 23 had died.
Meanwhile, earlier on Friday, a badger caused traffic chaos across the city when it was hit after wandering onto the A2 dual carriageway into the city.
It took the authorities three hours to clear the animal from the busy major road.
William McCausland, owner of Belfast taxi firm FonaCab described the situation "ludicrous", and said the authorities needed to have a greater sense of urgency in clearing obstructions off roads.
"The impact right across the city can be huge," he said.
The Department of Infrastructure said: "Responsibility for removing the dead animal from the road would lie with the local council.
"However, in this instance DFI officials assisted with the removal of the animal to a safe location beside the road and have liaised with Council officials in relation to its disposal."