Belfast Telegraph

Ex-world champ boxer Eamonn Magee stole champagne

Eamonn Magee
Eamonn Magee

Former world boxing champion Eamonn Magee has admitted stealing two bottles of champagne.

Magee (40) pleaded guilty to the theft from an Asda store on the Shore Road in Belfast.

The ex-WBU welterweight title holder, with an address at Rashee Drive, Ballyclare, Co Antrim, had originally denied the charge.

He was due to contest the allegation that he stole the champagne, valued at £55.80, from the supermarket in October 2008.

But a planned hearing at Belfast Magistrates Court did not take place after his barrister, Luke Curran, confirmed the ex-boxer's change of plea.

Magee, known as The Terminator during a professional career which included 33 fights, captured the WBU belt following earlier Commonwealth success.

He was the first boxer to knock down fellow ex-world champion Ricky Hatton, even though he went on to lose that bout on a split decision.

Since his retirement from the ring four years ago he has worked as a trainer at the famous Breen's Gym in Belfast.

He will now be sentenced after reports are prepared for the court.

District Judge Ken Nixon put the case back until next month.

It's not the first time the Belfast ex-boxing champion has had a brush with the law.

He was jailed in June 2010 for an assault on his ex-partner, Maria Magill.

During the trial it was heard the boxer had grabbed the woman by her hair and tried to throw her down the stairs.

Then, in December 2010, Magee was sentenced to three months in prison after threatening to kill his ex-wife.

He was given the prison sentence for menacing remarks and kicking Mary Magee's car as he left her home in west Belfast and was convicted of two counts of threats to kill and causing criminal damage. His ex-wife had told the court Magee warned her he would kill her if she phoned the police, before taking her purse and leaving the house.

Earlier this year Magee appeared in court charged with breaking bail conditions. He was returned to custody after police detected he had been drinking when he reported to them as part of his bail conditions.

Magee, who is originally from the troubled Ardoyne area of north Belfast, almost died after a street fight in 1989 in which he sustained a deep neck wound.

He was badly beaten in 2004, suffering a broken left leg, fractured left knee and a punctured lung and underwent surgery to have muscle grafted on to his shattered limb.

In 1992 he was shot in the leg by an IRA 'punishment' squad.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph