Belfast Telegraph

Face of the mum 'who stood and watched as son given a battering'

By Chris McCullough

This is the mother accused of the attempted murder of her son, who was left with severe head and facial injuries after being beaten with an iron bar.

Julie Larsen, a 41-year-old mother and grandmother, allegedly stood by and watched as her 24-year-old son Matthew Larsen, known as 'Matty', was assaulted on December 28.

Larsen also allegedly cleaned up after the attack.

Police have now charged a 29-year old man with the attempted murder of Mr Larsen, grievous bodily harm and two counts of threats to kill.

He is due to appear at Belfast Magistrates Court today.

Details of the attack were revealed last Thursday at Belfast Magistrates Court when Larsen appeared to face the charges.

Police claimed in court that she had spoken of her son deserving the beating.

Larsen is charged with attempted murder as part of a joint enterprise, perverting the course of justice and causing grievous bodily harm to a woman who was also injured in the same attack.

In court a police officer said that based on witness accounts, Larsen allegedly watched as her son was struck on the side of the head with a metal bar, causing his ear to explode.

Matthew was then subjected to up to 20 more blows with an iron bar and left in a bedroom of the flat in north Belfast. He was found on Monday morning in the flat with major injuries to the head and face.

His partner tried to intervene while he was being attacked but was also hit, leaving her with a broken arm in three places, the court heard.

Mr Larsen remains in a critical condition in hospital.

The officer said police believe Julie Larsen went to the flat knowing that her son was going to be assaulted, witnessed the attack and did nothing to stop it.

The court was told that she arrived at the flat seven minutes before an ambulance was called.

It was also alleged that she cleaned up afterwards to make it look like the attack had happened somewhere else.

She is not accused, however, of actually taking part in the assault.

Claims were made that Larsen told police she had found her son injured and that he was under threat from locals. During police interview Larsen denied all the offences.

Her solicitor challenged police claims that she saw the attack or lied to them.

The lawyer said that Larsen had given her son first aid before he was taken to the hospital and that her main concern was her son and his critical condition. Larsen was refused bail by District Judge Ken Nixon, based on the grounds that there could be a risk of interference with witnesses.

She was remanded in custody and is due to appear again in court this Thursday via video-link.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph