Facts and figures as freezing weather takes hold
Preparations are under way to minimise disruption.
Weather warnings are in place across the country and officials are preparing for an extreme cold snap.
Here is a glance at some of the numbers:
– 104 – The number of extra beds secured by the Dublin Region Homeless Executive for rough sleepers. Up to 60 additional bedspaces are also available in a city centre sports hall.
– Six – The expected snowfall in centimetres by Wednesday morning.
– Minus five degrees – The overnight low forecast into Tuesday
– 130 – The number of gritters available to salt main roads in Northern Ireland, as well as 12 specialist snow blowers if needed.
– 100 – The number of litres of water lactating dairy cows drink each day, according to the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs. Farmers have been advised to have at least a 24-hour stock of water in reserve in case of burst pipes.