Belfast Telegraph

Families hit out at Mauritian 'empty promises' there would be justice for Michaela

By Chris Kilpatrick

The family of murdered honeymooner Michaela McAreavey have hit out the Mauritian authorities, accusing them of failing to make progress in the hunt for her killers.

The 27-year-old teacher's relatives told of their frustration as the second anniversary of her murder trial approaches.

Michaela – daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte – was killed in a hotel room while on her honeymoon in 2011.

In a statement issued on behalf of the Harte and McAreavey families yesterday, they accused the authorities in Mauritius of "slow progress", claiming they had reneged on promises to keep Michaela's family informed of any developments in the case.

"As the second anniversary approaches of the trial of those accused of Michaela's murder, the families are more determined now than ever that justice will be done," the statement said.

"They are hoping that a settlement can soon be reached with the hotel in respect of the civil proceedings, but they are growing increasingly frustrated by the slow progress of the criminal proceedings.

"In particular, they have been disappointed by the reluctance of the Mauritian authorities to keep them updated with developments.

"It was promised by the Mauritian Prime Minister that justice would be done and would be seen to be done in this case.

"However, as time marches on and the criminal proceedings seem to have ground to a halt, this promise is ringing hollow," the statement added.

Mauritian Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam had previously stated that justice would be done in the case.

The statement came as it was reported the legal team acting for Michaela's husband John have written to the island's Director of Prosecutions.

The team have asked authorities whether there is in fact any active investigation into the murder.

Michaela was killed in room 1025 at the then Legends Hotel in January 2011.

Hotel staff members Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea, who were charged in relation to the murder, were both later acquitted.

Nobody has yet been convicted in relation to her murder.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph