Belfast Telegraph

Families plea for fresh inquest into Enniskillen bombing rejected

An appeal by the families of the victims of the Enniskillen Bombing for a fresh inquest into their deaths has been rejected by Attorney General John Larkin.

Twelve people were killed and 63 injured in the Enniskillen bombing which took place on Remembrance Day, November 8, 1987.

The IRA planted a bomb near the town's war memorial and it exploded during the service. They later said the bombing had been a mistake and had been intended to target British soldiers.

The Impartial Reporter said an application for a fresh inquest took three years to put together and was brought by a small group and lodged under Section 14 of the Coroner's Act.

Those who brought the case include Jim Dixon, who was seriously injured in the bombing and relatives of the victims.

A solicitor representing the group told the Impartial Reporter that they have "serious concerns" about the Attorney General's decision.

Those behind the application said that they are planning to ask Mr Larkin to reconsider his decision and pursue other legal avenues.

"The application went in to the Attorney General on behalf of these families. It was constructed to cover a series of fundamental issues that the original inquest would not have considered," the solicitor said.

"These were fundamental evidential issues with the police investigation and subsequent rumours and suspicion which have been attached to the circumstances of the Enniskillen Bombing since 1987.

"This was a detailed, well-considered and balanced application, but unfortunately the Attorney General's office has communicated to the families that he does not consider the holding of a further inquest is advisable at this time."

The Belfast Telegraph contacted the Attorney General's Office, but they said that they do not comment on individual cases.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph