Belfast Telegraph

Family and friends mark one year since Lisa Gow was killed by a car as she walked to shops

Agnes Gow lays flowers at the spot where her daughter Lisa died
Agnes Gow lays flowers at the spot where her daughter Lisa died
Peter Gow places flowers at the spot
Lisa Gow
Lauren Harte

By Lauren Harte

Family and friends of Lisa Gow have gathered in north Belfast to mark the first anniversary of her death.

The mother-of-two, who was in her 30s, died as she walked to the shops on Ballysillan Road on April 19, 2018.

She had just taken her two children Olivia (9) and Riley (7) to school when she was hit by a Audi A4 car which had been stolen from a home on nearby Cavehill Road.

Yesterday Lisa's heartbroken parents Peter and Agnes revisited the scene to lay flowers at the spot where she died 12 months earlier.

They watched as Olivia released a balloon into the sky in memory of her mum.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, Peter said his family were feeling "pure sorrow" as they marked Lisa's first anniversary on Good Friday.

"This should never have happened, but we wanted to come here today and celebrate the fact that we had Lisa in our lives," he said.

"This past year has been very hard and Lisa missed so many things that she loved - the summer holidays, her birthday in December and her kids telling her what they wanted for Christmas.

"Now we are facing our first Easter without her and all of these events are so hard, but today marking one year since she died has been the hardest.

"We want to have a quiet day remembering Lisa as a family.

"I was dreading coming over here to the scene this morning, but to see so many people gathered to remember Lisa with us is a great help."

He added: "To be marking her anniversary on Good Friday, the same day that God lost His Son and with the sun shining down on us, is something only Lisa could have arranged.

"It's very strange but it shouldn't be this way and no parent should have to bury their kids, yet unfortunately we have had to."

On Thursday Martin Alexander Nelson, the 40-year-old man accused of causing Lisa's death, expressed his remorse to the Gow family ahead of the anniversary.

Nelson's solicitor Pearse McDermott told Belfast Magistrates Court that his client was "very conscious tomorrow is the first anniversary of the incident... and he wants to express remorse to the family of the deceased".

Nelson, from Ardoyne Road in Belfast, has been charged with 11 offences linked to the collision. These include causing death by dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle-taking causing death, and driving while disqualified.

The accused has been returned for trial at Belfast Crown Court on a date to be fixed.

Mr Gow said the family are "in limbo" as they await the outcome of the trial and a Police Ombudsman investigation into the circumstances of Lisa's death.

Nelson was being pursued by police at the time of the crash.

"Whatever happens, the pain will always be there and we are never going to see our daughter again," he added.

"We are facing a life-sentence without her, especially Lisa's children, but they are the ones keeping us going.

"We talk to them about their mum every day and remember all the fun times they had with her.

"We answer all their questions and don't shy away.

"We tell them that their mummy is looking down on them and always will be, so they need to be good."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph