| 14.7°C Belfast

Family saved in house fire thanks to smoke alarm

Close

A west Belfast family escaped a house fire because their smoke alarm had warned them

A west Belfast family escaped a house fire because their smoke alarm had warned them

A west Belfast family escaped a house fire because their smoke alarm had warned them

A west Belfast family escaped a house fire because their smoke alarm had warned them.

Their home in Cloona Glen caught ablaze yesterday at around 6.50pm.

Three fire appliances rushed to the scene to fight the flames and left at around 7.45pm when the incident had finished.

No one was injured.

NIFRS area commander Aidan Jennings said their smoke alarm had helped them flee the danger and urged the public to ensure they had a working one installed on each floor of their home, and tested weekly.

"Four firefighters using breathing apparatus with two hose reel jets and a covering jet entered the property and extinguished the fire on the first floor.

"Fortunately the smoke alarm at the property activated and alerted the occupants to the fire, and they were able to evacuate safely," he said.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required


Top Videos



Privacy