Belfast Telegraph

Family's anger at being let down by trust 'in most gargantuan way' after inquest rules death could have been prevented

Fight: Denis Doran’s widow Yvonne
Fight: Denis Doran’s widow Yvonne
Brett Campbell

By Brett Campbell

The heartbroken widow of Denis Doran broke down and wept after being told his death could have been prevented.

Yvonne Doran (60) said "it means the world to me to hear what I always knew" about her husband's passing on November 29, 2016.

Mr Doran suffered a heart attack after being wrongly diagnosed with a hiatus hernia.

Wiping tears away, Mrs Doran said: "It broke my heart all over again to think my Denny could be alive."

The mother-of-two expressed shock at the full extent of the Southern Health and Social Care Trust's failings.

"I've had my eyes opened and I can't believe they are greater than I ever imagined," she said.

"I told my sister at the beginning of this process that no one is going to believe me.

"I had to fight for nearly a year to get details from the hospital to allow me to get an inquest.

"The coroner's remarks today have totally vindicated me."

Earlier this week a consultant cardiologist told the inquest that the chest pains her husband presented to hospital with two months earlier were "classic symptoms of angina", which he would have recognised immediately.

Dr Paul McGlinchy also said he would have referred Mr Doran to have stents put in within a day or two, which would have stopped the arteries of his heart from narrowing.

Earlier in the week locum consultant Dr Mohammod Asaduzzeman (44) accepted he made a mistake by failing to recognise the signs, and apologised to the Doran family.

Yesterday Yvonne said that while the Bangladeshi-born medic bears some responsibility for her husband's death, he was not the only one. "I blame everybody now, they've all let me down," she said.

"At the beginning I just blamed Dr Asaduzzeman, I wanted that man's throat.

"But now I know it goes a lot further up than him, which is absolutely disgusting - the trust should never, ever have allowed him to be in that position."

Mr Doran's devastated daughter Jayne (28) said that while her family "do not dispute the fact that (Dr Asaduzzeman) is inept", they also accept he should never have been allowed to work in the role.

"We have no sympathy for him in that respect, but we don't blame him alone," she added.

"It is the system that failed us and continues to fail others, that's what is so disgusting.

"My dad's death cannot be in vain. This should never be allowed to happen again."

Ms Doran said the trust "let the wrong man die" as she expressed relief that her family's courageous struggle for truth paid off.

"My daddy was a legend in our town and an icon to me," she said.

"He was an amazing singer and a comedian who had his own wee business. We were obsessed with him and our lives have not been the same since the day and hour he died."

Ms Doran expressed relief that her father being "let down in the most gargantuan way" has finally been acknowledged.

"He went for help three times, but now he's dead," she said.

"Our confidence in the trust has been shaken - the system is sitting back allowing people to die, and it must change."

Her brother Michael (32) expressed disbelief regarding the catalogue of disturbing revelations which emerged during the inquest.

"We didn't know most of this until this week," he said.

"It is now clear that this is a failing of the system.

"How can anyone just walk in to such a powerful position without ever having been interviewed?"

The victim's son also questioned why waiting time targets are still being missed two-and-a-half-years after his father died.

"We found out this week that the current waiting time is five weeks, despite the setting up of a duplicate chest pain clinic in Daisy Hill Hospital," he said.

"Why has nothing changed?"

Coroner Patrick McGurgan expressed alarm over the missed targets, which he believes present a risk to public safety.

Mr Doran said he has "no malice" toward Dr Asaduzzeman and he accepted his "sincere" apology. "This was not one person's fault," he said. "We already knew my dad should never have died.

"We are fighting to stop other families from having to endure our pain."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph