Belfast Telegraph

Footage of one-punch killing victim Conan Anderson moments after violent altercation shown in court

By Ashleigh McDonald

Relatives of Conan Anderson wept in court as CCTV footage of the 22-year old making his way home following a violent altercation was played to a jury.

Whilst the incident itself was not captured, footage of Mr Anderson walking towards the Short Strand moments after he was punched in the early hours of February 6 last year was shown at Belfast Crown Court.

Mr Anderson died in hospital a fortnight after he fell backwards and hit the back of his head off a pavement after being punched by Lawrence Dowie. The 28-year old accused, whose address cannot be published due to a reporting resriction, has been charged with the manslaughter of Mr Anderson.

Whilst Dowie admitted striking the deceased once in the face, he claimed he was acting in self-defence after Mr Anderson headbutted him and swung a few punches which didn't connect.

2017-03-01_new_29047036_I1.JPG
Conan Anderson

On the second day of a trial at Belfast Crown Court, the jury of eight men and four woman heard evidence from several witnesses who saw the altercation between Dowie and Mr Anderson. One witness - a schoolfriend of Mr Anderson's who also knew the accused - said he contacted a mutual friend to tell Dowie to hand himself in when he learned Mr Anderson was in Intensive Care.

The jury also heard a statement from Mr Anderson's mother, who said her son's "behaviour, demeanor and the colour of his face" in the hours after the altercation concerned and scared her so much that she called an ambulance.

Despite medical intervention, Mr Anderson passed away in hospital from "severe and significant" head injuries on February 18, last year.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph